Your Homeowners Insurance May Not Cover Woodpecker Damage
Meet Amy, City Girl that became a small town resident upon her marriage to George. The stark difference between living in the very center of urbanized civilization and township dwelling was somewhat of an adjustment for Amy. Sure she loved the sights and sounds of nature exposed: the lake, the trees, grass, flowers and the vibrant color of winged birds. Nonetheless, how she missed the hustle and bustle and – yes – even the noise of what she had always recognized as the center of commercial shopping, auto and bus traffic – honking included – and life as she had been bred to appreciate!
Though noise has always been the core of her existence, the incessant pecking on the side of her roof in small town America where she currently had set up residence did absolutely no good for her nerves. Five o’clock in the morning, you see was far too early for a woman of the world such as she to be rudely awoken from her slumbering state. And the fact that the pecking was coming from a fine feathered ‘friend’ known most commonly as the woodpecker did little to placate her uneasiness.
Then came the crunch that really threw Amy off. It appeared as the bothersome woodpecker had begun to incur damage on her lovely home! But nothing could appease Amy when she discovered that her standard homeowners insurance policy did not even cover the damages and losses she now suffered!
“You see, Ma’am,” explained the nice insurance agent, “insurance companies simply do not cover general home liability that has been wrought through negligence. In fact, they view woodpecker damage as something that could have been avoided through proper home maintenance.”
If only Amy had known! She most certainly would have confronted the little peril with a vengeance. Now it appeared that it was too late and she and her husband would have to bear the losses through out of the pocket expenditures.
They say life is a great teacher. Amy knows better than most.
“Learn from me,” says Amy, former city dweller. “Don’t let pests get the better of you or your home risks will!”
How does one tackle a woodpecker problem? There are a number of hands-on methods:
• Go out and purchase a tool that’s on the market in regard to woodpecker deterrence.
• Surround outside home spots that connect to the roof with wired fencing.
• Attach colorful tape below roof and around the roof’s gutters.
• Seal attic holes and house siding with caulk or other materials.
• Hire a pest eliminating firm to take care of the problem.
• Explore your own creative to tackle the nasty wood-pecking problem.
Ask Amy. She’ll tell you forearmed is indeed forewarned: speak to an independent insurance agent about your homeowners insurance policy to make sure it is tailored to your needs.
by M Wyzanski
- Published On : 7 months ago on January 20, 2019
- Author By : Pedro Irneto
- Last Updated : September 3, 2018 @ 3:57 pm
- In The Categories Of : Insurance
- Tagged With : home insurance, insurance business analyst, insurance industry definition